Director - Group Strategy - Remote
Posted on: September 20, 2022
The Department & TeamStrategy and Corporate Development is a
small, high-profile team reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer
and based across UK and US. This team works hand in hand to drive
all group strategy, venture & investment, strategic partnership and
M&A activity across the Pearson group. Within the department,
our team Group Strategy - is responsible for providing strategic
thought leadership by working collaboratively with colleagues
across all areas of the business to develop Pearsons strategic
direction and identify what Pearson needs to do to succeed. We
collaborate closely with the M&A and Venture & Investments
teams, as well as with Pearsons business divisions, so your
projects will provide you with many learning and networking
opportunities. Our team has a significant amount of exposure to the
Pearson CEO, CFO, Executive team and Board.Purpose of this role
- Support process to ensure Pearson strategy is well-understood
and driving long-term success.
- Provide a clear view of Pearsons competitive landscape and
identify long-term material trends and positions which we can
maximize to our advantage.
- Support mission-critical strategic projects with thorough,
strategic and data-driven analysis.
- Challenge our businesses to push beyond the status quo and
manage stakeholders across our businesses to ensure were
progressing the right initiatives to maximize the value of the
- Present recommendations to the Pearson Executive teams using
clear verbal and written communications to get buy-in for your
ideas and drive the business direction.Key Responsibilities
- Leading the corporate strategy planning process - this will go
beyond the aggregation of business-unit strategies; and include
both designing and implementing a corporate strategy process that
is continuous, with a strong focus on execution, and driven by
regular and effective decision making.
- Work closely with a group-wide three-year planning process to
translate the long-term strategy into short and medium-term
- Responsible for helping us to drive our strategy and priorities
working closely with. the wider corporate development team across
acquisitions, divestitures, investment partnerships and venture
investments, ensuring progress across our various strategic
- Planning, shaping and delivering multiple strategic projects.
Working collaboratively and cross-functionally on the execution of
the strategic initiatives in partnership with other members of the
senior leadership team, which will also involve monitoring
strategies from idea through to action, and execution; and
identifying and monitoring capability gaps.
- Ensuring active course correction where needed, both in terms
of targets / ambition, and also stopping or accelerating exiting
funding and any reprioritization.
- In partnership with the Heads of Strategy, challenge the
strategy owners to ensure alignment and efficient realization of
- Collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders to critically
assess portfolio performance against strategic priorities.
- Present findings to and influence Pearsons executive team on a
broad range of strategic questions; and be a subject matter expert
in one or more strategic areas, providing guidance to Pearsons
- Defining and tracking a focused set of KPIs and supporting the
external and internal communication narrative from a strategy
- Ensuring effective execution of the strategic plan against the
agreed strategy, and the groups strategic priorities.Qualifications
and experience required for the roleThis role requires a strategic
thinker who can see the big picture but is equally able to focus on
strategy execution and supporting the delivery of results to turn
vision into reality. You have relevant experience gained working in
strategy consulting, industry or private equity. Alternatively, you
might have worked in the strategy or business development functions
of a multinational corporate organization. You have experience of
working in / with multiple geographies. You are curious and a fast
learner who enjoys working in environments that challenge you to
think laterally and creatively and force you to stretch
- Passion for Education with an ambition to make a difference in
this key role.
- Must have consulting and corporate strategy experience. Banking
sector and Private Equity background and experience also
- Able to think strategically, decomposing and simplifying
- Strong commercial acumen and skills in financial analysis,
business case development & interpretation with extensive
experience managing strategic projects teams.
- Excellent communicator and team player, with the ability and
confidence to influence stakeholders, collaborate effectively and
to build strong relationships at all levels.
- Highly analytical and experienced in execution with diligent
tracking and monitoring.
- Experience in designing and developing Group Strategy and
preferably also relevant senior consulting experience on top of
thisYou also have/are:
- Undergraduate degree, ideally in business, or finance. MBA is
- Commercial mindset, ability to quickly understand key business
drivers and strategies, and present these in simple and powerful
- Intellectual imagination to embrace polarities, with the
courage to act decisively even in the presence of imperfect
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including
written; together with excellent attention to detail and focus on
execution and results.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to move
from high-level strategy to numbers and to apply financial analysis
to commercial issues.
- Ability and confidence to establish credibility and work with
senior/executive management, to build strong networks and business
relationships with influence across a complex, organization with
- Ability to draw upon an outside-in view in to make credible
recommendations and provide effective support to business leaders
in prioritizing their business strategies.
- A strong team player, but also confident working under own
- Experience in developing and supervising team members.
- Self-starter with a strong results-driven work ethic.
- Ability to work under pressure to time critical deadlines and
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.As required
by theColorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, Pearson provides a
reasonable range of minimum compensation for roles that may be
hired in Colorado. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide
array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of
experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado
only, the range of starting pay for this role is $180 - 220k per
year. This position is eligible to participate in an annual
incentive program, and information on benefits offered is
here.#LI-POSTLearning is the most powerful force for change in the
world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and
services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common
purpose to help everyone achieve their potential through learning.
We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning
experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help
people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We
are the worlds leading learning company. Learn more at
pearsonplc.com.Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes,
so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racistcompany in
everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a
strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences
are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and
respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching
their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that
diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and
vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are
committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent
can learn, grow, and thrive. To learn more about Pearsons
commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a
member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that
represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The
more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment
is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national
origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other
group protected by law.Job: STRATEGYOrganization: Corporate
Strategy & TechnologySchedule: FULL_TIMEReq ID: 7666#location
Keywords: Pearson, Harrisburg , Director - Group Strategy - Remote, Executive , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!