Assistant Director of Charter School Financial Services
Posted on: November 22, 2022
* Description for Internal Candidates
At Pearson, we're committed to a world that's always learning and
to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing
lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons,
we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it's
one child in our own backyard or an education community across the
globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate
each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports
and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of
technology-and each other to surpass these boundaries-we create
seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world's
innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson's Virtual Schools K-12 group provides high-quality, highly
accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts
and students in grades K-12. It serves families and schools with a
variety of digital learning and online school solutions including
Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson
Connexus. In 2017, it will deliver online learning to over 400,000
students in the U.S. and 48 countries. The group, formerly known as
Connections Education, is based in Columbia, Maryland and has been
named a "Top Workplace" by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive
years and a "Best Place to Work" by Baltimore magazine. Recognized
for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and
leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to
expanding quality education through technology, and helping
students achieve both academic and personal success.
. Position Summary :
The Assistant Director of Charter School Financial Services is
responsible for managing the accounting and financial services for
a portfolio of Connections' partnering charter school customers.
This position will oversee the performance of regional financial
representatives and their working teams, ensuring the accuracy of
school financial reporting and the timely completion of financial
deliverables. This position will play a key role in advising
internal business owners on school finance matters and
communicating with external board members and/or school
representatives as required. Occasional travel may be required.
Primary Responsibilities :
* Direct the monthly close, general ledger and financial reporting
functions for all department partnering charter school customers.
This includes ensuring appropriate controls and procedures for
these functions are designed and implemented properly.
* Direct the preparation and distribution of the monthly board
financial packages for all department partnering charter schools.
This includes conducting a monthly review and approval of financial
statements and forecasts prepared by the school accounting and
financial services teams.
* Support internal business owners with preparing and presenting
financial information that will be used to drive business
* Ensure all department financial documents and presentations to
board members are delivered with the highest level of quality and
* Responsible for liaising with Finance to establish the timeline
of monthly deliverables and other reporting requirements and ensure
expectations are met both timely and accurately.
* Identify emerging financial risks and opportunities for all
partnering charter school customers and present them timely to
* Direct team initiatives to improve automated systems over
financial forecasting and reporting.
* Oversee the establishment and achievement of performance goals
for the (senior) managers of accounting and financial services and
* Ensure school annual financial statement audits, other school
audits and external reporting are completed timely with favorable
* Responsible for monitoring fiscal compliance over federal
programs in accordance with federal regulations.
* Responsible for reviewing key agreements and contracts to ensure
compliance with all financial terms and that related transactions
are recorded appropriately.
* Direct team to ensure the timely and accurate submission of all
state, federal, and authorizer financial reporting requirements.
This includes managing the fulfillment of special financial request
made by such agencies.
* Ensure all tax filings are prepared and filed timely.
* Lead or participate in special projects and process improvement
initiatives as assigned.
The following equipment will be provided to you by the company as a
The following equipment will need to be provided by you, as the
employee, when working from home:
* 2 nd monitor (required)
* Mouse (required)
* Keyboard (required)
* Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field. CPA
* Minimum of 5 years of related experience including 5+ years of
* Minimum of 5 years experience in the not-for-profit (501(c)3) or
* Minimum of 5 years experience providing accounting and/or
* Demonstrate experience with developing internal controls, project
management and process improvement.
* Strong and practical working knowledge of accounting theory and
practices particularly related to not-for-profit and fund
* Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office products, including
advanced knowledge of Excel
* Proficiency utilizing accounting software, such as Great Plains
and Management Reporter.
* Ability and willingness to travel (limited)
Key Capabilities :
* Customer Centric - Acts with a strong customer mindset (both
internal and external) and is a visible advocate for the customer.
Builds strong relationships with customers and uses those to
improve their experience and outcomes.
* Delivering Financial Results - A strong track record of
delivering against budgets and commitments.
* Communications - A great communicator who engages teams and
stakeholders with thoughtful delivery and messages that
* Building a strong team - Creates strong morale and inclusive
spirit within team, Proactively addresses team performance and
communication challenges and blends new people into teams when
needed. Has a track record of hiring and quickly and effectively
onboarding great talent. Demonstrated success developing and
Key Behaviors :
* Works well in a matrix - Models collaboration, solves problems
with peers, builds trust and support.
* Takes personal responsibility - Can be relied on to complete
tasks timely and well, demonstrates "ownership" regardless of the
outcome, proactive in exploring and exploiting new
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More
than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in
nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose - to
help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that
by providing high quality, digital content and learning
experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help
people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We
are the world's leading learning company. Learn more at
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
We are committed to being an anti-racistcompany in everything we
do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense
of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced,
opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the
norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full
potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity,
and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work.
People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable
environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and
To learn more about Pearson's commitment to a diverse and inclusive
workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and
a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that
represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The
more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment
is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national
origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other
group protected by law.
Organization: Virtual Learning
Req ID: 8532
Keywords: Pearson, Harrisburg , Assistant Director of Charter School Financial Services, Executive , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!