Nurse Educator, Operating Room - UPMC Community Osteopathic
Company: UPMC Central Pa.
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Job Title: Nurse Educator, Operating Room - UPMC Community
Job Summary: UPMC Community Osteopathic is a 177-bed acute care hospital located in suburban Harrisburg. UPMC Community Osteopathic is proud to be a Magnet-designated hospital serving as the region's premier facility for orthopaedic, bariatric, and urology care.
The Nurse Educator is essential in providing an exceptional experience for new team members transitioning to the operating room. The Educator will serve as a liaison to leadership and a mentor to staff by overseeing and coordinating educational opportunities for the operating room team.
The Nurse Educator, a professional registered nurse, has the authority, responsibility, and accountability for delivery of nursing education. Orientation, continuing education, and ongoing support for the nursing staff are the main objectives. The Nurse Educator must demonstrate the knowledge and educational skills necessary to assess, plan, and provide the educational programs that are required.
* Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by building teams and relationships through mentoring and modeling uplifting and positive communication. Extends trust by acknowledging the contributions of others; listens first, creates transparency in communications, confronts reality, and clarifies expectations. Conveys information and ideas clearly through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message. Perform related duties as required.
* Actively participates in department or practice-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunities for quality improvement to colleagues and management. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care, identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest.
* Receive feedback and direction constructively. Serve as a formal and informal mentor for new staff members and mentor new preceptors to be successful in their role. Serve as a resource/consultant for patients, nursing staff and other disciplines in area of specialty. Participate in department-based Performance Improvement projects. Participate in self-review. Improve knowledge, skills and performance based on feedback or on self-identified developmental needs. Demonstrate a high level of initiative, work independently, and establish priorities to meet department and organizational goals. Obtain and maintain appropriate certifications. Participate in professional and community organizations. Develops professional coaching and feedback skills.
* Facilitates orientation and general continuing education programs. Utilize nursing process in teaching staff how to manage the care of patients including assessment, interdisciplinary planning, implementation, evaluation of patient care, teaching, and discharge planning. Lead in the development of standards of nursing care and nursing policies. Identify, communicate, and respond to meet the learning needs of nursing staff. Develop, implement, and evaluate orientation and continuing education programs based on learning needs, clinical priorities, and organizational resources. Facilitate staff initiatives to improve patient care. Comply with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. Promotes patient education.
* Demonstrate awareness of the impact of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department and organization. Take a leading role in major hospital-wide projects. Assume responsibility for complex assignments and view problems as challenges. Apply creative and innovative strategies in problem solving to achieve desired goals. Facilitates student experiences as appropriate.
BSN Required (BSN waived if MSN obtained in program not conferring BSNs)
Minimum of 3 years of clinical experience
Relevant teaching experience
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse either in the state where the facility is located or in a state covered by a licensure compact agreement with the state where the facility is located.
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire.
UPMC approved certification preferred.
Clearances must be dated within 90 days.
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Registered Nurse (RN)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
Act 31 with renewal
Act 33 with renewal
Act 34 with renewal
Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Key Words: Nurse Educator, Nursing, RN, BSN, MSN, healthcare, health care
About South Central Pennsylvania
Features both rural and suburban living and boasts an abundance of sports, arts, cultural events, and entertainment.
Close to historically significant areas such as Gettysburg and world-famous Hersheypark and Hershey's Chocolate World.
Offers top-rated public schools, blue-ribbon private schools, and some of Pennsylvania's top colleges and universities.
Area school districts are consistently ranked in the top 20% of Pennsylvania.
With affordable homes - a composite cost of living index of 99.7, compared to 101.2 in Philadelphia - it's a great place to grow a career and family.
Listed among Forbes.com "America's Most Livable Cities," and ranked in U.S. News & World Report's "Best Cities to Live" in 2017, we are a two- to three-hour drive away from New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
About UPMC in Central Pa.
* UPMC in Central Pa. is a nationally recognized leader in providing high-quality, patient-centered health care services in central Pennsylvania and surrounding rural communities.
* As part of the UPMC not-for-profit system, UPMC in Central Pa. cares for more than 1.2 million area residents yearly, providing life-saving emergency care, essential primary care, and leading-edge diagnostic services.
* UPMC in Central Pa. includes seven acute care hospitals with 1,245 licensed beds, over 200 outpatient clinics and ancillary facilities, more than 2,900 physicians and allied health professionals, and approximately 13,400 employees.
* It is a health care hub serving Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Juniata, Franklin, Adams, and parts of Snyder counties.
* UPMC was named as one of the "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare" for 2022 by Becker's Healthcare. For inclusion on this list, hospitals, health systems, and health care companies must demonstrate initiatives and commitment to promote diversity within the workforce, employee engagement, and professional growth.
Job Title: Nurse Educator, Operating Room - UPMC Community
Keywords: UPMC Central Pa., Harrisburg , Nurse Educator, Operating Room - UPMC Community Osteopathic, Healthcare , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
here to apply!