Medical Science Liaison - Respiratory - South NJ/East PA/DE
Posted on: November 12, 2019
Job title: Medical Science Liaison
unit: Medical AffairsSummary of Purpose/Major Responsibilities:The
Mission of Sanofi?s MSL Team and the Medical Science Liaison is to
be the trusted scientific partners in the field for external
experts and decision-makers engaging in mutual scientific exchanges
to accelerate data dissemination. Sanofi?s Medical Field base teams
enhance the understanding of the scientific and medical value of
our products in the therapeutic area and gather new insights by
bringing cutting edge scientific exchange today that accelerates
medical innovation tomorrow.The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a
field-facing role whose main objectives are to:
- Be the trusted scientific partner to key external experts by
conducting timely, appropriate and frequent scientific exchanges to
enhance the understanding of the scientific and medical value of
- Execute on stakeholder engagement plans to gather data, develop
and share medical insights that contribute to the enhancement of
Sanofi?s key medical messages, plans, and future research.
- Keep abreast of medical and scientific developments in the
therapeutic field to help identify and critically assess research
opportunities and to play a supportive role in the execution of
evidence generation plans to enhance the value of our products in a
- Recognize, record and share insights that deepen our
understanding of the needs of patients, consumers, regulators,
payers, and healthcare providers and proactively contribute towards
identifying unmet needs.
- Maintain effective and appropriate communication among internal
stakeholders (Medical Affairs colleagues, Medical Information and
Commercial Operations) while maintaining full compliance with
relevant company, industry, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrate operational understanding and risk management by
ensuring excellence in the execution of all governance
- Engages external stakeholders on medical and scientific
information exchange for the therapeutic area during one-on-one
interactions and group settings, exhibiting excellent scientific
and clinical knowledge 75%.
- Uses strong knowledge of relevant diseases and disease
management protocols, healthcare environment and competitors to
articulate the medical and scientific value of our products with
- Establishes robust, long-term peer relationships with Key
Opinion Leaders and other stakeholder partners.
- Actively engages with appropriate stakeholders on medical,
clinical, epidemiologic, and scientific topics to advance their
understanding of the disease by sharing information and answering
questions based on approved material within Regulatory
- Engages with appropriate stakeholders to understand the state
of healthcare policies and guidelines as they relate to clinical
practices at a local, state, regional, federal, or national
- Uses defined systems to maps, identify, profile, and
prioritizes stakeholders in line with the therapeutic area medical
plan and looks for opportunities to collaborate and build a
value-based partnership addressing the HCP's therapeutic
- Effectively utilizes the Scientific Engagement Model to plan
territory and individual stakeholders (Key Opinion Leaders, payers,
HCP, etc.) medical strategy and engagement interaction plans
consistent with the Field Base Medical Activity Plan and medical
- Effectively utilizes the Scientific Engagement Model for
attending and establishing a Sanofi Medical presence at relevant
scientific congresses, symposia as directed.
- Organizes educational meetings or local scientific advisory
boards when requested.
- Support speakers' training to ensure continued scientific
support in the field.
- Responds to unsolicited requests for medical information
associated with supported products and disease state areas.
- Gathers data and?generates insights?from stakeholder
interactions and provides feedback to the organization 10%.
- Recognize and collect feedback/reactions from multiple data
sources and various stakeholders.
- Record/report insights and information appropriately, using
available mechanisms and tools.
- Critically and routinely evaluate and discern from the
information gained from published studies, and stakeholder
interactions?to develop?key?insights that deepen our
understanding?of?the market?s needs?and opinions of?external
stakeholders and therefore contribute to the enhancement of
Sanofi?s scientific messages, plans, strategy, systems, and product
- Maintain awareness of and assesses emerging evidence in the
disease area to educate and enhance discussions with key
- Collaborates effectively with internal stakeholders 5%.
- Distribute relevant scientific and medical information and key
external insights to internal stakeholders when requested.
- Collaborate, as directed, with Commercial Operations, Business
Development, Regulatory, etc. to facilitate diligence reviews,
medical and safety evaluation, product positioning, lifecycle
evidence planning, and compliance needs.
- Contribute to the creation of material for internal and
external stakeholders where applicable, following internal Sanofi
policies, and Federal and National Policies as applicable.
- Supports evidence-generation activities by aiding in data
acquisition and identifying opportunities for further data
collection clinical or investigator-led 10%.
- Monitors disease epidemiology and provides support, including
protocol development, when needed on various types of studies:
long-term surveillance, compliance, pharmacovigilance, and
- Identifies data collection opportunities during stakeholder
interactions and reports these using approved processes.
- Maintains awareness of clinical trial activity within the
territory and suggests clinical trial sites as requested.?
- Responds to unsolicited requests regarding interest in
investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and supports ISS submissions
through appropriate internal processes.Context of the job/major
- Able to operate independently (with minimal supervision) and
navigate complex regulatory environments in person and via digital
channels from remote (non-office based) environment.
- Possible substantial travel: nationally and
- Effectively mediate KOL's complex and controversial opinions
vs; corporate policy decisions ensuring KOL relationships/medical
strategy are not negatively impacted.
- Ensures regulatory boundaries re non-promotional activities are
respected vis-?-vis commercial partners.Scope of Role / Outputs:
- Manage a base 50-80 stakeholders; developing and maintaining
stakeholder engagement tracking database.
- Plan day-to-day interactions, including discussion points in
accordance with Medical Affairs strategy, establishing a frequency
of interactions per stakeholder per year to ensure that objectives
- Accountability for [add country/area name] level with reporting
mainly to Medical Affairs.
- Executes on defined KOL territory strategy that is targeted to
address diverse stakeholder needs (payers, patients, KOLs, HCP,
etc.) and is aligned with company objectives.
- Develops relevant territory engagement plans in line with the
medical strategy and supports the team?s medical plan
- Uses approved scientific data during KOL interactions to
advance the understanding of the therapeutic area.Qualifications
- Advanced degree in a technical, scientific or medical field
(MD, PhD, Pharm D,) preferred, or other Relevant Life Sciences
Degree (RN/MS) with Healthcare Specialty required.
- Valid driver?s license with a clean driving record and ability
to pass a complete background check.
- Driving a company car in a safe manner to daily meetings and
appointments is required.
- Responsible for operating the motor vehicle using safe driving
practices, knowledge of and compliance with all company policies,
and obeying all traffic laws.Experience:
- Previous pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
- Clear understanding of the medical practice, clinical decision
making and healthcare systems related to patient care.
- Ability to interpret key scientific data and translate this
information to meet educational and research needs.
- Demonstrated ability to address educational and research needs
through the delivery of cutting edge scientific/evidenced-based
- Understand the design and execution of research studies.
- Exemplary communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in working on multi-disciplinary teams and managing
significant volume of projects.Skills/Knowledge:
- Actively listens to others and is adept at confidently stating
expert opinion while respecting the positions of others - can exert
diplomacy while standing firm on a position.
- Utilizes effective, professional communications to cultivate
strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues,
flexible in their own approach to people and situations.
- Skillfully plans, prioritizes, and executes multiple
responsibilities and projects.
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills (by example and
through accomplishments), steps forward to handle challenges within
the scope of authority.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of local regulations and codes
of practice for the pharmaceutical industry, in particular as they
apply to the non-promotional activities of this role.
- Demonstrates scientific expertise - stays abreast of data,
treatment trends, and new information in the profession and ability
to articulate therapeutic knowledge and translate expert feedback
into appropriate insights.
- Knowledge of relevant healthcare systems, the evolving medical
landscape, regulatory and payer environment, public health and
- Proficiency in digital tools.
- Working knowledge of English as a second language.Sanofi Inc.
and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative
Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin;
age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil
union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression;
affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military
status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim
status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information
(including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other
characteristic protected by law.Genzyme Glassdoor: #GD-SGGenzyme
LinkedIn: #LI-GZ?At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational
to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to
truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with
inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive
and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients
and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our
people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal
opportunity for all.
Keywords: SANOFI, Harrisburg , Medical Science Liaison - Respiratory - South NJ/East PA/DE, Healthcare , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!