Job Title Director Alternative Sourcing - Retail Business
Positions Available 1
Operating Company Retail Business Services
Full/Part Time Status Full-Time
FLSA Status Exempt (Salary)
Address 1149 Harrisburg Pike
Description About Retail Business Services
Retail Business Services, LLC, is the services company of Ahold
Delhaize USA, currently providing services to five East Coast
grocery brands, including Food Lion, The GIANT Company, Giant Food,
Hannaford and Stop & Shop. Retail Business Services leverages the
scale of the local brands to drive synergies and provides
industry-leading expertise, insights and analytics to local brands
to support their strategies with services including Information
Technology, Merchandising, Marketing & Sourcing Services, Private
Brand Products, Pharmacy Services, Not for Resale, Store Services,
Financial Services, Legal Services, Communications, Supply Chain
and People Systems and Services. Retail Business Services operates
across seven campuses in the Greater Charlotte, Harrisburg, D.C.,
Portland, Boston and Chicago Areas. For more information, visit
www.retailbusinessservices.com. To stay updated with the latest
news, follow Retail Business Services on LinkedIn
(@Retail-Business-Services) and Twitter (@RBServicesNews).
Position Title: Director Alternative Sourcing
Position Location: Scarborough, ME or Quincy, MA or Carlisle, PA
or Salisbury, NC
Primary responsibilities include managing Alternative Sourcing:
Inbound Diverting, Outbound Diverting, Investment Buys, Deals
Expiring & MLP changes, Forward Buys and Troubled Inventory. The
focus is to attain budget targets (COG savings $, outbound revenue
generation $ and removal of Troubled Warehouse Inventory (Pended &
close coded) across all of AD (Ahold Delhaize USA). This role also
has direct responsibility of setting revenue / savings targets,
developing and managing process and communicating results
throughout the organization for all of AD (Ahold Delhaize USA).
This role will manage teams that sell or create orders in excess of
$1 billion annually and generate $100 million in savings / revenue.
In addition, this role will lead planning in the areas of advanced
analytics, projects, additional value opportunities and IT design
as needed for Alternative Sourcing. This role is the primary
interface to Leadership team across: Diverter vendor partners, AD
USA Supply Chain operations and Chief Merchants for all the Brands
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Will set the strategy for the Alternative Sourcing: Inbound
Diverting, Outbound Diverting, Investment Buys, Deals Expiring &
MLP changes, Forward Buys and Troubled Inventory for all of AD
• Provide leadership and direction for the Alternative Sourcing
Outbound & Inbound Managers to achieve goals for COG savings $,
outbound revenue upcharges $, and removal of pended inventory.
• Assign appropriate strategies to personnel and oversee
• Direct, mentor, motivate and develop the Alternative Sourcing
Team while maximizing their individual contribution, professional
growth and their ability to function effectively.
• Assignment of Alternative Sourcing Managers / Team members for
balancing workloads and enabling effective collaboration with DC,
Forecast, Replenishment and Banner leaders.
• Assess the chronic concerns / feedback and develop root cause
analysis to determined and implement the best resolution
• Conduct periodic Alternative Sourcing reviews with Banners and
Supply Chain Leadership to set direction as needed to maintain or
improve performance across all of AD USA.
• Partner with Chief Merchants for Joint Business Planning
process for key suppliers.
• Ensure continuous improvement processes are executed by
Alternative Sourcing Managers for diverter performance across all
of AD USA.
• Apply architectural and functional specifications to each
• Stay informed on category trends, commodity or other supplier
issues that impact Brand sales. Insure the Alternative Sourcing
Managers are anticipating and act on supplier issues, seasonal
changes, natural disasters, crop conditions, and manufacturing
issues to protect our sales.
• Build and maintain positive relationships with internal
leadership (Category, Brand, Distribution Centers, Logistics,
Trucking, Retail, Private Brand) and external leadership (vendors)
• Ensure that Alternative Sourcing Managers and their teams
execute timely communication to necessary parties related to PO
transactions, resolving issues, LTMO, PVP program and responding to
questions via phone, email or online.
Requirements Basic Requirements:
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and
related work experience.
• 7-10 years combined experience in retail, category, pricing,
logistics, supply chain, procurement, and distribution
• Professional level of knowledge for company, business and
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of Programs
• Category Management
• Supply Chain Management - Replenishment or Forecasting
• Alternative Sourcing – Diverter network
Skills and Abilities:
• Solid understanding of Diverter networks with clear
understanding of their capabilities and how Alternative Sourcing
can support all of AD USA.
• Solid understanding of Category and Supply Chain processes and
terminology with clear understanding how it can impact AD USA.
• Commercial Planning Negotiations
• Vendor investment program and forward buy process.
• Vendor efficiency programs
• Highly self-motivated
• Goal oriented and works well under pressure.
• Negotiating & Tactics
• Influence and create buy in with leadership
• Leadership & Professionalism
• Active listener with an ability to build trust across varying
levels of the organization
• Strategic management
• Fiscal control
• Driven and focused
• Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills to
executive level management, both written and verbal.
• Ability to foresee future problems by discovering trends
across multiple vendors or purchases.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with excellent
follow-up and attention to detail
• Able to operate in a fast-paced environment
• Conflict Management across team and departments