Unix Administrator (275-369)
Company: American Education Services (AES)
Posted on: May 3, 2021
PHEAA is a nonprofit student aid organization that holds a
mission of providing affordable access to higher education.
Give back tomorrow by joining us today!
The Unix Administrator position is responsible for the
day-to-day support and administration of virtualized Unix
environments in both on-prem and Cloud/AWS configurations. Focus is
on AIX/RHEL administration, third party software application
installation and configuration, support for multiple flavors of
enterprise class storage, and hardware maintenance. Collaborate
closely with developers and other technology personnel to develop,
migrate, and manage services within our technology stack. This
position is currently offering remote work.
Shift: Monday-Friday, 8:00-5:00/ Provide 24/7 support as
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Hardware and Software Administration
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 support for troubleshooting customer related
technical issues within the on-premise and Cloud environments
- Perform hardware and software installations, upgrades, and
- Provide technical assistance with installation of third party
- Maintain documentation for all related software, hardware, and
- Build and maintain virtual servers on IBM pSeries, VMware
platforms, and in Cloud environments
- Schedule and facilitate major third party software application
- Maintain operational stability while enforcing security
- Create advanced shell scripts for automating various operating
- Utilize automation tools such as Terraform, Ansible, or
- Assist in upgrading, installing, and configuring cloud
solutions for Windows and Linux servers
- Manage development repositories, build automation and
application deployment activities
- Deliver continuous improvement of recipes, scripts, and
templates for reproducible deployments
Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery
- Test backup media recoverability on a quarterly basis
- Oversee Disaster Recovery backup processing and resolve issues
with nightly backups scheduled through Tivoli Storage Manager, and
various other backup/recovery solutions
- Work with internal customers to develop suitable
Backup/Recovery solutions to meet their SLA's
Storage Area Network(SAN) Administration
- Conduct monitoring and reporting for IBM and Dell/EMC storage
subsystems, as well as fiber switch fabrics, EMC DataDomain, EMC
Isilon, and S3 / On-Prem cloud storage
- Create and assign disks to virtualized hosts. Knowledge of
various storage and file sharing protocols (e.g. Fiber Channel,
ISCSI, NFS, and CIFS)
- Use and knowledge of various storage management tools, such as
IBM TPC/Network Advisor, EMC OneFS, Rocket Servergraph, Networker
NDMP, and Superna Spyglass
- Troubleshoot various production/implementation issues using a
variety tools to perform root cause analysis and recommend
solutions based on findings
- Bachelors degree or certification in computer
science/information technology and 3-5 years of experience OR
currently enrolled in computer information systems degree program
or looking to complete experience requirements for a degree program
or is working full time in an IT career.
- Knowledge of both on-prem and Cloud flavors of Unix, x86/Intel
environments, Storage Area Networks, and Disaster Recovery
- Working knowledge of networking concepts and moderate shell
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical
- Demonstrated experience successfully delivering complex
initiatives, meeting quality and time expectations.
- Must be able to communicate at a highly technical level in
order to work effectively with peers and other I/T staff.
- Able to pass a Federal 6C background check to obtain a Public
Trust (High Risk) Position.
- If selected for a position, following a conditional job offer,
all candidates for employment must be able to pass a criminal
background check which are not an automatic bar to employment, a
student loan check where all loans must be in good standing, and
provide proof of education. Candidates for this position would need
to obtain the Federal 6C background check to obtain a Public Trust
(High Risk) position. For this level of clearance, the federal
government has a requirement that all applicants possess U.S.
- Previous Federal Government experience
- One or more Microsoft or Amazon cloud certifications
- Experience with at least one configuration technology
including: Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- 1 - 2 years of relevant hands-on cloud experience in
administering Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience implementing, migrating, managing, and operating
systems/applications in an enterprise cloud computing
- Experience writing technical documentation, especially in
relation to AWS and Azure Cloud architecture
- Experience with network and/or systems administration in
Linux/Unix and/or Windows environments
Candidates will enjoy our comprehensive total rewards program
offering Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF)
health/dental insurance and defined benefit plan, as well as life
insurance, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement,
participation in a deferred compensation program, and generous paid
vacations and holidays.
Keywords: American Education Services (AES), Harrisburg , Unix Administrator (275-369), Other , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!