Company: Ward Transport & Logistics
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Job Title: Operations Supervisor Advertising Title: Req #: 10976
Company: Ward Trucking, LLC Job Code: SVCTROPS Location: Harrisburg
Employment Status: Full Time City: Camp Hill Area of Interest:
Manager State: PA Rate of Pay: Competitive Salary and Benefits
JOB TITLE: Operations Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Service Center Manager
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To ensure the customer is always serviced
first. To assist in achieving our growth goals and contribution
dollar goals while balancing costs to generate a profit. To create
and implement the service center Operations plan in accordance with
service center's Desired State.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, direct and control freight operations in line with our
intent of always servicing the customer first.
- Create and update action steps on the service center tension
chart in accordance with operational goals.
- Attain specific operational goals as outlined on the service
center tension chart in the areas of overall MPI Performance,
missed pickups, on-time service, clerical support overtime, Weight
and Inspection goals, and Safety and Operations Audits score. Work
with audit results to ensure service center is in compliance with
both Safety standards and Operations standards. Empower and hold
management team accountable to achieve same goals.
- Coordinate and/or delegate the work of local operations in the
areas of: Pickup and Delivery operations, dock operations, linehaul
cut-times, claims prevention, determination of amount of manpower
hours and staffing, service center physical plant and equipment
maintenance and risk management.
- Effectively use Computerized Dispatch System, prepare routes
and dispatch local P & D drivers. Ensure all freight is out for
delivery according to service standards and customer
- Handle phone calls from customers in accordance with Ward's
telephone etiquette and customer service standards. Assist service
center office staff with customer service phone calls regarding
scheduling appointment freight, tracing, customer problem
- Support both Operations and Sales efforts within the service
center as well as across service center lines.
- Control service center costs to keep them within plan,
including risk minimization for the company in all areas such as
claims and safety.
- Participate in monthly Business Development meeting with Sales
Leader and other appropriate supervisory staff members in order to
identify problems and / or progress with regard to achieving
service center goals. Accountable to update and / or make additions
to the service center tension chart based on output of monthly
meeting. Must be prepared to discuss output with Vice President of
Operations and Director of Regional Sales at quarterly review.
- Work closely with Safety Department to ensure compliance with
Safety audit, company policy and external regulations.
- Recognize and/or reward employee contributions (through verbal
acknowledgement, mention in the Driving Force Newsletter, gift
certificate, letter from you, etc.). Confront negative or
inappropriate behavior, resolving the issue.
- Properly communicate company policies and plans to all
associates and communicate employee feedback to the appropriate
department / service center.
- Ensure the work environment within the service center is
customer focused, positive and based on trust and respect thus
ensuring we maintain a non-union status at the service center.
- Hold effective weekly meetings with management team.
- Pursue personal development opportunities and encourage others
along the same path.
- Work closely with Human Resources Department to ensure
compliance with company policy and external regulations.
- Adhere to green book guidelines on structure.
- Three to five years working experience in the motor carrier
industry preferred, including knowledge of operations, clerical
procedures, and DOT and HAZMAT regulations.
- Must have basic understanding of customer service and desire to
support Ward's quest to always service the customer first.
- Must have proven track record of effective supervision
- Must have knowledge of all local geographical areas covered
direct by service center.
- Must be physically able to walk the dock and in trailers on
surfaces that may be slippery and wet at times, be able to move
freight with or without aid of freight handling equipment, be able
to bend, twist, climb and move about in small spaces, and able to
lift and reach objects.
- Must have previous management experience and ability to work
well with and direct others.
- Must possess strong communication and leadership skills with
the ability to foster open, honest two-way communication both
internally and externally.
- Must be organized and able to work with PC.
- Must be able to work hours as required and travel if
- Must be prepared to assume shift operations with little or some
- Must be able to perform all job duties of a supervisor
including AS400 (computer) functions as well as deal with other
General Office departments as required.
This job description does not necessarily represent an
exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements,
efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this
is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management
reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or
different tasks be performed as circumstances change.
Keywords: Ward Transport & Logistics, Harrisburg , Operations Supervisor, Other , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!