Company: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Pennsylvania State Police has an immediate need to fill a
Communications Director 2 vacancy in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Join
the team who help keep people, both residents and visitors, safe in
their communities and on Pennsylvania's roads. If you have an
interest in Public Safety and want to support this mission, apply
- The Communications Director job describes work in the
management and support of an agency's communications functions.
This is professional public relations work directing the internal
and external communications program for a commonwealth agency
characterized by significant public visibility and sensitivity to
- In this job, you will be responsible for planning, organizing,
and directing internal and external communications, including media
relations, public information, digital communications, and
promotional/marketing functions in state agencies having a high
degree of public visibility and complex and sensitive liaison
involvement with public or private entities, other state agencies,
and branches of government.
- Work involves directing the preparation of information
concerning the programs, services, policies, and accomplishments of
the department; providing advisory and consultative services to the
agency head on public relations matters; representing the agency
and agency officials as the official spokesperson for the
department; supervising and participating in writing speeches and
other public presentations for the Secretary and top agency
officials; and writing or overseeing the development of internal
- Work is under the general direction of the agency Secretary,
with oversight by the Governor's Communications Office, who
evaluates work timeliness, responsiveness, and effectiveness of
- This job is differentiated from the Communications Director 1
job based on the increased complexity of the communications program
due to the significant degree of public visibility and complex and
sensitive liaison involvement with public or private entities,
other state agencies, and branches of government.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
- Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates a departmental
public relations program, including media relations, public
information, digital communications, and promotional/marketing
- Develops long and short term communications plans and messaging
goals and strategies.
- Serves as media consultant and principal advisor to the
Secretary on communications and public relations matters, including
the public relations implications of agency programs and
- Analyzes and evaluates the public relations impact of proposed
or existing agency programs and policies and provides input to the
Secretary and other officials in the formulation or modification of
programs or policies.
- Arranges and schedules, or oversees the arranging and
scheduling of, interviews between agency personnel and the news
- Selects and prepares a variety of informational material to be
presented to the media.
- Directs the development and implementation of media events
including press conferences, tours, and availabilities.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of talking points, news
releases, advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, and memos;
television, radio, and film scripts; and brochures, pamphlets,
reports, publications, and similar written and graphic public
information and promotional material.
- Writes, or directs the writing of, speeches or talking points
for the Secretary or other top agency officials.
- Serves as spokesperson for the agency.
- Oversees the development of marketing materials.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Employees in this job may participate in subordinates' work
consistent with operational or organizational requirements.
Interested in learning more? Additional details regarding this
position can be found in the position description . REQUIRED
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
Five years of professional experience in the field of public
relations, including three years in a responsible administrative or
supervisory capacity; and a bachelor's degree with major course
work in journalism, communications, English, or a closely related
An equivalent combination of experience and training.
How To Apply:
- Attach a resume; it is required in order to submit an
- Attach academic transcripts if applicable.
The Commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is
committed to a diverse workforce. The Commonwealth values inclusion
as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified
people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed,
ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status,
disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal
or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg , State Police, Other , harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!