Lead Surgical Technologist
Posted on: July 16, 2021
The Lead Surgical Technologist works collaboratively to facilitate
Surgical Technologist assignments. Work under the direct
supervision of a Clinician and the Director to facilitate the safe
and effective conduct of invasive and non-invasive procedures.
Perform advanced tasks on a regular basis in an operating room that
assist the surgical team. Work on complex surgical procedures
within at least three surgical specialties. Arrange sterile setup
for surgical procedures; pass instruments, sponge and sutures to
surgeons and surgical assistants; prepare sterile supplies; assist
in cleanup of the operating room; check placement and operation of
equipment; and check and restock operating room. During surgical
procedures may be responsible for special trays, grafting
materials, and recording patient data. Accountable for
instrumentation, equipment, and supplies to ensure proper use and
availability for quality patient service.
- Coordinate day to day supervision of the surgical technicians.
Serve as the Lead on daily shifts to resolve/answer any questions
or issues. Teach both skill and theoretical principles to new
employees and students.
- Assist the Nurse Specialist in supervising the use of supplies
and equipment for patient care and safety in all procedures.
- Ensure all medications are labeled and handed to surgeon
according to established policies and procedures.
- Under the case scheduling process; may have ability to schedule
- Demonstrate initiative in problem solving as related to patient
and technical issues that contribute to the improvement of the
Operating Room function and operation.
- Liaison with Sterile Processing.
- Modify/revise requisitions (surgeon's preference cards) on an
as needed basis.
- Assume responsibility under the direction of the Clinician for
presenting one in-service training to the staff each year.
- Ensure clean, safe environment through continued alertness to
safety and explosive hazards and aseptic technique.
- Have Epro access and ability to order specialty items.
- Serve as a resource to other staff members. Assist head nurse
by precepting students and new employees.
- During surgery, efficiently pass instruments and other sterile
supplies to surgeons and surgeon assistants. Under the supervision
of the surgeon hold retractors or instruments, cut sutures, sponge
or suction the operative site and help count sponges, needles,
supplies, and instruments.
- After surgery, may help transfer patients to the recovery room.
Clean and restock the operating room.
- Prepare patients for surgery by wash, shave, and ensure aseptic
incision sites. May transport patients to the operating room, help
position them on the operating table, and cover them with sterile
- Support cost containment in the use of materials and
- Assist the surgical team with putting on sterile gowns and
- Assist in the preparation, care for, and disposal of specimens
taken for laboratory analysis and help apply dressings.
- Before an operation, help to prepare the operating room by
setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and
sterile solutions. Assemble both sterile and non-sterile equipment.
Adjust and check equipment to ensure it is working properly.
- Facilitate education of surgical techs.
- Participate in peer review.
- Completion of a formal surgical technician program offered by a
community or junior college, vocational school, university,
hospital or the military.
- A minimum of 4 years or more of Operating Room experience
- Advanced knowledge of at least 3 surgical specialties.
- Receive a Solid/Strong/Good or higher on last performance
- Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the
medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic
and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) OR Tech in
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: UPMC, Harrisburg , Lead Surgical Technologist, Other , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!