Specimen Processor, UPMC Harrisburg
Posted on: July 17, 2021
Receive, sort, identify, process, and distribute specimens to all
technical sections. Enter requisition information and patient
results into the computer system; call statistical results, answer
phone, code charge slips, train new employees and perform related
- Demonstrate service orientation approach by conveying courtesy,
respect, enthusiasm and a positive attitude in work situations.
Show initiative and offer assistance in the completion of the
department's work.Monitor pneumatic tube and courier deliveries to
ensure timely processing of specimens.
- Investigate and resolve any requesting mistakes or other
specimen problems. Request assistance when needed. Complete quality
forms for unacceptable specimens, requesting errors or other
problems.Separate by centrifugation. Label appropriate aliquot
tubes and transfer as defined by policy; store samples at the
- Determine and enter the specimen receive time into the
computer. Answer all telephone inquiries concerning proper specimen
collection, result, and normal range information.Follow all
regulations regarding health and safety concerning the handling of
biohazardous patient samples or sharps to prevent exposure.
- Verify patient specimens such as blood, urine and other body
fluids with requisitions or labels, making certain that information
on the specimens match any paperwork received and correct
specimen.Properly request in the Laboratory Information System
laboratory information system if needed.Prepare, package and send
specimens to outside locations as needed.
- Receive, sort and prioritize ALL specimens according to the
laboratory policies.Share specimens as necessary. Notify supervisor
of problems and of any requests that need credited or
- Disinfect the work area after shift and during shift, if
needed. Participates in the orientation and training of new
laboratory specimen processors. Perform routine technical and
related clerical duties as directed.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Three to six months of experience in a clinical laboratory,
physician's office, or other medical environment preferred,
including knowledge of or experience in Medical Terminology and
Laboratory Information Laboratory information systems.
- Good oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all age groups and
populations of external and internal customers (as well as
co-workers) both by telephone and in person.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: UPMC, Harrisburg , Specimen Processor, UPMC Harrisburg, Other , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!