Patient Care Technician-Peri-Anesthesia
Posted on: September 13, 2021
We are looking for a
full-time Patient Care Technician for our Perianesthesia
Department. The responsibilities include greeting patients,
assisting nurses to help prepare patients before and after surgery,
placing a patient on a monitor, and assiting with discharges. The
shifts rotate from morning to evening. Morning shift starts as
early as 5am to 1:30pm, evening shift starts at 10am to 6:30pm.
This is a Monday to Friday position.
- Provides patient care including
assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living.
Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary therapies.
Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports
changes in patient status.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant
responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O,
specimen collections and Foley care) AND at least four of the
following BU identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple
dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder
scan, straight catheter, or IV catheter removal.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate
department. Establishes appropriate and effective communication
with other departments.Establishes professional and respectful
interpersonal relationships.Contributes to the universal unit
activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights
and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. Identifies and
communicates learning needs to the unit director. Takes action to
improve knowledge, skills and performance. Requests assistance in
planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in
self-review as requested by the unit director.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the
direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient
restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively
with all members of the health care team.Demonstrate understanding
of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the
health professions.Cares for patients and self by supporting safety
in the workplace.Develops and maintains productive working
relationships internally and externally by demonstrating
accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment
to patients and colleagues.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to
patient care and hospital related information. Complies with safety
policies and procedures including standard precautions.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.Assumes
responsibility for assignment and views problems as
challenges.Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient
functioning of the department.Supports department based projects
and quality initiatives.
- Documents in the medical record according to established
procedures. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive
manner. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- If no previous hospital or pre-hospital training, successful
completion of UPMC patient care technician class OR successful
completion of EIC training program OR successful completion of
first year of clinical work in a nursing program.
- Successful completion of basic information system training.
Microcomputer experience preferred.Ability to effectively
communicate both orally and in writing.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently
enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.Access to
medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic
and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: UPMC, Harrisburg , Patient Care Technician-Peri-Anesthesia, Other , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!