Respiratory Therapist, RRT (UPMC Harrisburg)
Posted on: October 4, 2021
Under the general direction of a physician and by prescription,
provides respiratory therapy services and life support to patients
with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system.
Defined responsibilities are performed in all patient populations
and in all patient service areas.
- Reads prescription, measures arterial blood gases, and reviews
patient information to assess patient condition and determine
requirements for treatment, such as type and duration of therapy,
and medication dosages.
- Determines most suitable method of administering inhalants,
precautions to be observed, and modifications which may be needed
that will be compatible with physician's orders
- Assists to transport mechanically ventilated patients.
- Responds to all code situations.
- Maintains patient's chart that contains pertinent
identification and therapy information.
- Orders repairs when needed. * Demonstrates respiratory care
procedures to trainees and other health care personnel.
- Supervises students during training.
- Sets up and operates devices, such as mechanical ventilators,
therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control
systems, and aerosol generators.
- Operates equipment to ensure specified parameters of treatment,
such as volume, gas concentration, humidity, and temperature, and
to administer medicinal gases and aerosol drugs to patients.
- Observes equipment function and adjusts equipment to obtain
optimum results to therapy. Inspects and tests respiratory therapy
equipment to ensure equipment functions safely and
- Evaluates the appropriateness of medical orders.
- Interprets clinical data to optimize patient clinical
- Monitors patient's physiological responses to therapy, such as
vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry
- Performs bronchopulmonary drainage and assists patient in
performing breathing exercises.
- Performs pulmonary function tests to be used by physician in
diagnosis of case.
- Consults with physician in the event of adverse reactions.
- Graduate of a Co ARC (Committee on Accreditation for
Respiratory Care) approved Respiratory program required
- Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) license in the Commonwealth
of Pennsylvania required
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) from the National Board
for Respiratory Care (NBRC) required
- Respiratory therapists who receive their RRT credential from
the NBRC after July 1, 2002 are required to maintain certification
under the NBRC requirements
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic
and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Osteopathic Respiratory Care OR Respiratory Care Practitioners
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: UPMC, Harrisburg , Respiratory Therapist, RRT (UPMC Harrisburg), Other , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!