SYGMA - Director, Warehouse Operations
Company: The SYGMA Network
Posted on: August 1, 2022
US3063 Sygma Pennsylvania, a Division of The Sygma Network, Inc
Minimum Level of Education:
High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience:
Direct all warehouse and distribution operations to promote safe,
efficient, and optimal utilization of our facilities, equipment,
and personnel. Maintain the areas in a safe and sanitary condition
to meet all federal, state and Company requirements and operate
within the designated financial and productivity guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee, observe and enforce all safety rules in an effort to
eliminate accidents and injuries.
- Oversee, hire, train, develop, evaluate and ensure
accountability of the warehouse management team and the warehouse
- Serve as the role model of responsible, accountable and
effective leadership for operations.
- Maintain a work environment that recruits, retains and supports
all operations personnel. Execute processes for the selection,
development, motivation and evaluation of staff.
- Maintain knowledge and effectively administer all Company
policies and procedures including training, communication,
interviewing, associate discipline and termination.
- Initiate and maintain sanitation program for responsible
- Maintain updated knowledge of Company safety program and OSHA
regulations and adherence.
- Maintain working knowledge of all warehouse related systems and
- Maintain general knowledge of refrigeration systems.
- Collaborate with all RDC departments (Transportation, HR,
Administration) and the opcos to achieve most efficient product
flow and to continuously drive best cost and service.
- Responsible for proper receiving, slotting and shipping of
products and the relationship to accuracy and product quality, as
well as productivity.
- Work effectively with the Senior Manager, Warehouse Standards,
Systems and Engineering to minimize warehouse shrink and to
maximize productivity with WMS configuration and execution.
- Foster an environment that encourages associate involvement,
commit to quality of work for self and others, and provide
leadership for mutual benefit to Company, associates and
- Ensure that all required associate records, evaluations, and
related documentation are maintained in a timely, consistent, and
accurate manner as well as ensuring the operations management team
is fully trained and effective in these processes.
- Responsible for ensuring the appearance, maintenance and
security of the warehouse and equipment are ongoing.
- Support the safety effort by working with the safety department
to resolve safety issues.
- Send/receive positive communications to responsible
- Communicate and reinforce policies and procedures (Coaching
Maximizing Performance Program, Preferred Work Methods, and Best
Business Practices) to ensure associates are trained in safety, job
knowledge, and attainment of performance standards.
- Maintain effective working relationship between assigned
management of all respective operations departments.
- Act as a problem solver for associate relations issues and
- Understand and comply with all applicable company policies
(i.e. attendance, Code of Business Conduct & Ethics, Associate
- Understand and ensure compliance with all applicable
State/Federal laws, regulations and policies (i.e. OSHA, HACCP,
- Supports food safety policies, standard operating procedures,
and prerequisite food safety control programs that meet legal and
quality requirements and industry best practices as defined in our
Food Safety Commitment documentation.
- Accept additional responsibilities or special projects as
- Provide direction and leadership to subsidiary associates as
well as ongoing communication of related status and issues to RDC
- Determines and provides training and development of staff
members as needed.
- Identifies staffing requirements and assists in personnel
recruitment to fulfill staffing requirements.
- Responsible for associate performance evaluations of immediate
subordinates on an annual basis for the purpose of communicating
and properly documenting expectations and evaluations to the
- Provides ongoing feedback on the performance of subordinates
and the department by monitoring activities and reports.
- Responsible for managing all warehouse operations staff
including managers, supervisors, and non-exempt (hourly)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill set, and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. An individual should contact the Human Resource
representative or hiring manager if he or she believes that an
accommodation is needed.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
between associates, peers, and senior management.
- Must have ability to plan and organize work and time, analyze
and disseminate numerical data, follow policies and procedures,
possess basic math skills, and identify and solve problems.
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft suite (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Must have ability to handle departmental issues, mitigate
differences, and support direct reports.
- Must have demonstrated ability to plan and organize work and
time, follow policies and procedures, identify and solve
- Must have ability to foster a cooperative work environment with
business partners and collaborate with multiple teams at multiple
levels within the organization to achieve Company objectives.
- Must have ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple
- Must be able to effectively perform in a multi-tasking
environment with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to effectively manage confidential
- Must pass a physical assessment test.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is
required. Bachelor's Degree related to operations systems, business
management or related field is preferred. Food service knowledge
preferred. A minimum of the (10) years verifiable experience in
various management/leadership roles in a distribution related
industry or equivalent combination of education and experience is
required. Must have working knowledge of warehouse management
systems to include inbound, outbound and inventory management
processes. Conceptual understanding of labor management systems for
operations is required. Experience in labor relations relative to
effective management of operations associates is required.
- Must be articulate and possess effective written and verbal
communication skills with individuals of broadly varying
backgrounds and educational levels at all levels within the
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and to draw and interpret
- It is expected that the incumbent will be able to work in a
proactive manner, address issues, and solve problems by using
previous education and experience in identifying appropriate
actions. Problems will vary in complexity and there will not always
be a clearly defined solution. Some solutions may require modifying
past applications or creating a solution unique to the current
situation but within the regulations that would apply.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Certification on material handling equipment is required, or
the ability to become certified.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- The working conditions and physical demands described are
representative of those that must be met by an associate to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human
Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is
regularly required to talk and hear, and to use hands and fingers
to operate a computer keyboard and mouse. The associate frequently
is required to sit. The associate is regularly required to stand,
walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and
arms. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an associate encounters while performing
the essential functions of this job. Job duties are performed in a
warehouse/operations environment with frequent time spent in an
office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the
associate is frequently exposed to varying temperatures to include
the freezer, cooler, and dry warehouse locations, and exposed to
extreme cold or heat. The associate is regularly exposed to fast
moving material handling equipment or other mechanical equipment.
The associate may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions,
vehicle emissions, contained toxic or caustic chemicals, and
outside weather conditions. The noise level in the warehouse work
environment usually is loud.
- This is a full-time position. The incumbent must have the
ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work
(days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays. Work
hours may vary or change based on departmental requirements.
- The position requires some travel to support the business needs
of the RDCs and affiliate locations.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to
describe the principal functions of the occupation described and
shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
For information on Sysco's Benefits, please visit
HOW WE PROTECT OUR ASSOCIATES
- Personal protective equipment and masks provided
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Sysco is the global leader in foodservice distribution. With over
57,000 associates and a fleet of over 13,000 vehicles, Sysco
operates approximately 326 distribution facilities worldwide and
serves more than 625,000 customer locations.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and
professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic
organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their
expectations. We're looking for talented, hard-working individuals
to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco
is at the heart of food and service.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or
any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.
Keywords: The SYGMA Network, Harrisburg , SYGMA - Director, Warehouse Operations, Professions , Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!